Date PostedDecember 13, 2021
5350 NE Dawson Creek Dr, Hillsboro, OR 97124Full-time
Full Job Description
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Materials and Structural Analysis Division: Electron Microscopy
Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Materials & Structural Analysis Division (MSD) supplies innovative solutions for microscopy and microanalysis. We provide SEMs, TEMs, and DualBeam™ FIB-SEMs combined with advanced software suites to take customers from questions to usable data by combining high-resolution imaging with physical, elemental, chemical, and electrical analysis across scales and modes – through the broadest sample types.
How will you make an impact?
The Advanced Technology Group in Hillsboro is seeking a Research Scientist to work on the design and development of Focused Ion Beam (FIB) columns. This Scientist is required to have extensive experience in scientific computing, design, operation and troubleshooting of complex laboratory equipment related to charged particle beam systems, including ion/electron columns and related microscopes.
What will you do?
- Design and simulation of FIB columns, including charged particle optics simulations, electrical requirements analysis, high voltage and electromagnetic fields design and analysis, mechanical design analysis, vacuum design, and material selection
- Develop tests and characterization methods to validate and improve FIB performance
- Develop and maintain in-house software tools to simulate and characterize FIB columns
- Work closely with cross-functional Engineering groups to develop FIB columns-related products
- Maintain substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories of charged particle optics and systems, including ion and electron sources
- Lead and manage small-sized ion column development projects
- Participate in the development of patent applications
- Provide company-wide technical support for ion columns
How will you get here?
MS or PhD degree in Physics or relevant field
- MS with 5+ or PhD with 3+ years’ experience in R&D
- Understanding of Electrical Engineering principles
- Combination of strong scientific programming and lab hands-on skills is highly desired
- Experience in the design, simulation, and operation of charged particle beam systems, such as FIB and SEM columns, ion and electron sources, and related systems
- Experience using and troubleshooting laboratory equipment including electronics, high voltage and vacuum systems
- Experience with high-level programming languages (Python, C/C++) and numerical methods
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent data processing and analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Our global team of more than 90,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.