Date PostedDecember 13, 2021
Zap Energy, Seattle
Zap Energy Inc. (ZEI) is developing and commercializing fusion energy technology using the sheared-flow stabilized (SFS) Z-pinch. Fusion energy provides a nearly-limitless and carbon-free source of clean energy. The highly-motivated scientific and technical team is conducting fast-paced, exciting, break-through work to push the SFS Z-pinch technology toward scientific breakeven conditions: successful achievement of this goal will revolutionize energy production. ZEI’s approach represents the most elegant fusion configuration, as it does not require magnetic field coils nor auxiliary heating. ZEI is a well-funded spinout company from the University of Washington, located in Everett, WA.
ZEI is currently looking for an experienced, accomplished, self-motivated Radiochemical Engineer, or Nuclear Materials Scientist, to support the design and development of a tritium breeding and radioisotope separation and handling system. Tritium breeding is essential for an economic and self-sustained deuterium-tritium fusion power plant. This position will primarily entail modeling of tritium breeding system, including but not limited to tritium breeding ratio calculations, neutron transport modeling, tritium inventory determination, including support of tritium and radioisotope separation system design, among others.
This position will work with a multidisciplinary team of ZEI scientific, engineering, and technical staff on the design, assembly, and operations of advanced liquid metal loops for the next-generation ZEI SFS Z-pinch experiment. This position will primarily support modeling of tritium breeding and inventory system, but will also be expected to aid in the validation of results by supporting experiment design and testing. The ideal candidate is an organized, inventive problem solver, capable of working through technical challenges and employing sound, pragmatic solutions through team efforts. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Neutron transport modeling in breeding media, reflectors, containment, and structural components.
- Tritium breeding ratio and lithium depletion calculations in service environment.
- Overall system tritium inventory determination.
- Radioisotope composition evolution of blanket under neutron fluence.
- Radioisotope production system design support.
- Nuclear activation, radioactive decay and transmutation analysis of blanket and reactor materials.
- Thermochemical modeling.
- Support of experiment design for validation of modeling results.
- Support materials irradiation testing campaigns.
- Working with ZEI scientific, engineering, and technical staff, assist in the design, validation, and optimization of primary recirculating metal loop.
- Perform data analysis, reduction, error propagation, publication, and presentation of experimental results, including computational results.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5-10+ years post-M.Sc./M.Eng.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary environments
- Extensive nuclear reactor physics understanding.
- MCNP modeling.
- Radioactive decay evaluation and tritium inventory impact.
- Design, modeling and analysis of radioisotope production system.
- Ability to formulate and propose testing campaigns for model validation.
- Data analysis including reduction, interpretation, and error analysis
- Excellent written and communication skills
- 3-5+ years post-doctorate (Ph.D.)
- Nuclear reactor core physics and neutronics modeling.
- Neutron transport modeling in sodium cooled fast neutron breeder reactors
- Experience on tritium breeding system design, and/or radioisotope production.
- Plasma physics understanding.
- Plasma Facing Materials interaction understanding.
- Nuclear reactor cooling systems design.
- Experience on radiological shield design.
- Materials irradiation testing.
- Experience on radioisotope separation processes, e.g chemical, centrifugal, electromagnetic, diffusion, distillation, other.
- Liquid metal, or molten salt, blanket recirculating loop design experience.
Benefits of joining Zap Energy – While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.