Date PostedDecember 13, 2021
Job Role Summary
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company has an immediate opening for a Computational Physicist at all career stages with a Ph.D. in Engineering Sciences, Applied and Computational Mathematics, Physics, or a closely related field. The position is in the Computational Physics Section at EMRE’s Corporate Strategic Research Laboratories located in Annandale, New Jersey. The Computational Physics Section is a multidisciplinary group of scientists conducting fundamental research in computational methods aimed at solving large-scale physical problems pertaining to the energy industry, with focus in the areas of flow in porous media, multi-scale phenomena, PDE-constrained optimization and uncertainty quantification. The work environment is highly collaborative, and candidates are expected to work in partnership with experimental, theoretical, and computational scientists and engineers across the organization. Successful candidates have the potential to become scientific leaders, developing new insights needed to capture key mechanisms, processes and parameters, and guiding research directions that address critical technical questions.
Job Role Responsibilities
- The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to solve physical problems by developing and/or adapting novel computational methods
- Experience in large-scale computational modeling, parallel computing and machine learning is highly desirable
- Candidates with experience in inverse problems, reduced-order modeling and uncertainty quantification will be given additional consideration
- Relevant areas of scientific expertise include porous media flow, soft-matter physics, fluid mechanics, computational geophysics, rock mechanics and geochemistry
- All applicants are expected to have good oral and written presentation skills, along with a strong record of publications and presentations, commensurate with their career stage
- The ability and desire of the candidate to grow into new science areas are essential characteristics, as is the ability to work across disciplines and organizations
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.