Date PostedDecember 13, 2021
Johnson & Johnson Irvine, California
Advanced R&D and the Cardiovascular and Speciality Solutions Team, a member of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies is recruiting for an R&D Engineer to be located in Irvine, CA.
As part of the Advanced R&D department within the Cardiovascular and Specialty Solutions Group, the Engineer will be part of a team responsible for front-end innovation and designing and delivering novel medical devices to improve patients’ lives.
The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies have been working to make surgery better for more than a century. With substantial breadth and depth in surgical technologies, orthopedic and interventional solutions, we aspire to improve and enhance medical care for people worldwide. Together, we are working to shape the future of health through differentiated products and services.
- Develops concepts, designs, and details for products, machines, tools, fixtures, and test methods.
- This position will have responsibilities across Cardiovascular and Specialty Solution (CSS) Companies (Johnson and Johnson Family of Companies) including a span of multiple product platforms such as ENT (Acclarent), Electrophysiology (Biosense Webster), Neurology (Cerenovus), and Ophthalmology (J&J Surgical Vision)
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under general direction and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations and Corporate Johnson & Johnson, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Designs new devices based upon customer need
- Tests design prototypes and modifies design based upon test results
- Documents design for V&V activities
- Plans, coordinates and oversees validation operations, including scale up of and optimization processes, equipment assembly, in process sample analysis, and prepares compliance documents
- Proposes and determines new or improved technologies to enhance product quality, manufacturing cost efficiencies, personnel safety and regulatory compliance
- Evaluates analytical results to establish the quality of batches
- Prepares and controls procedure, batch records and other compliance documents
- Oversees timely completion of pilot plant operations consistent with new product production activities of the department
- Manages the transfer of manufacturing technologies from concept to pilot scale
- Prepares and assists in the execution of the manufacture of process validation batches, and prepares the process validation report
- Motivates and mentors others
- Ensures equipment is tested and supports safety and environmental initiatives
- Ensures repairs are scheduled
- Creates IP and works with patent attorneys to ensure patents are applied for
- Responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to the next management level
- Responsible for ensuring subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety, and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition
- Responsible for ensuring personal and Company compliance with all Federal, State, local, and Company regulations, policies, and procedures
- Performs other duties assigned as needed
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in physics, chemistry, biology, mechanical, electrical, biomedical engineering, or related field is required
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience or demonstrated performance is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing principles and practices and procedures is preferred
- Ability to work cross-functionally is required
- Good communication skills, orally and in writing is required.
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing is highly preferred
- Knowledge of programming languages such as MATLAB and Labview is preferred
- Strong knowledge of CAD software including SolidWorks is required.
- Ability to perform “active involvement” in the solution of problems and problem resolution
- Capacity to solve problems by providing good judgment
- This position may require travel, both international (5%) and domestic (10%)
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.